If you are considering a career in the security industry as a security guard, then it is important to know as much about the role as possible. It is also vital that you understand what will be expected of you whilst you are working as a security guard. So, what’s it like to be a security guard?
- What Are The Requirements To Be A Security Guard?
- Security Guard Job Opportunities
- What’s It Like To Be A Security Guard?
- Can A Security Guard Be Self-Employed?
- Are Security Guards Key Workers?
- Do Security Guards Get Hazard Pay?
- Is Being A Security Guard Boring?
- Is Being A Security Guard Dangerous?
- Is Being A Security Guard Easy?
- Is Being A Security Guard A Well Paid Job?
- Is Being A Security Guard Worth It?
- Is Being A Security Guard Stressful?
- What Are The Benefits Of Being A Security Guard?
- What Skills Do You Need To Be A Security Guard?
- What Rights Does A Security Guard Have?
What Are The Requirements To Be A Security Guard?
The main requirements to be a security guard is that you must be at least 18 years of age, have the right to work in the country that you are applying for and that you are licenced by the SIA. Read our other article, “How To Become A Security Guard” to learn more information about what other requirements you will need to become a security guard.
Security Guard Job Opportunities
In a world where protecting one’s assets are extremely important, the market for security guards is in high demand. Below, we have listed some areas security guards commonly work in.
- Retail security guards. This is the most common security officer. These individuals work for private security companies and are assigned to different locations, such as banks or residential buildings.
- Crowd Control Guards. These are often hired to manage crowd behaviours for big public events and festivals.
- A bodyguard. As depicted in many Hollywood films, a private bodyguard’s duty is to protect a specific person or a group of people. To find out the differences between a security guard and a bodyguard, read our other article.
- Airport security guards, as the name implies these are guards assigned to provide security in airport premises, protecting passengers against threatening events.
Read our other article, “Where Do Security Guards Work?”, to learn more about the different areas that security guards work in.
If you’re looking to advance your career as a security guard after you obtain your SIA licence, then you may want to pursue additional certifications, such as a valid PAL (Possession and Acquisition License). By doing so, you can showcase to employers that you take your job seriously and strive to be the best security professional that you can be.
What’s It Like To Be A Security Guard?
A security guard can be an interesting job. Below, we have listed and answered some of the most frequently asked questions for security guards, and we have given an insight into what’s like to be a security guard.
Can A Security Guard Be Self-Employed?
A security guard can be self-employed, as it will depend on the company that they work for and the type of contract that they have. Some security officers will be employed by workplaces independently and while others may be a self employed security officer.
Some companies may hire a freelance security guard who would still be classed as self-employed, while other companies treat their staff as employees. The main difference is that a self employed security guard needs to determine their own tax and national insurance, while the company does this for employed security guards.
Are Security Guards Key Workers?
According to UK Government Guidance, security guards can be classed as key workers but only in certain circumstances. The guidance states “that the current definition of key worker DOES include regulated (licence holding) security professionals, essential to national infrastructure, operating in critical roles”. However, it is important to note that not all licence holders are considered key workers as it is dependent on their role.
Do Security Guards Get Hazard Pay?
Hazard pay is extra pay that some employees receive if they work in hazardous situations. Generally, there is no extra hazard pay involved as the role of a security guard is clear to those applying for it. Many companies do competitively pay their staff and give them additional training to tackle any hazards. A security guard’s pay will often be dependent on the company that they work for, what their job role is, and where they are located.
Is Being A Security Guard Boring?
Being a security guard is like many other career paths, some people love it, and some do not. A security guard’s job is far from boring, as it can change every day as security guards will often find themselves in different situations.
Furthermore, being a security guard gives you training and experience that you can use in many different fields and can lead to further opportunities in the security sector. This will depend on the type of security guard that you are, the job can have regular hours or shift work. Read our other article, “What Does A Security Guard Do?”, to find out more information about a security guard’s tasks.
Is Being A Security Guard Dangerous?
There is a common misconception that a career in the security industry is dangerous and too risky, and this can put people off considering this particular career path. While security guards are put in place to protect people and businesses, it is also important to note that SIA licenced guards receive robust training that helps prepare them for these situations, limiting the risk as they are trained on how to handle a variety of scenarios correctly. This means that security guards are trained on how to effectively deescalate situations before they become an issue.
To understand why a job as a security guard could be dangerous and the precautions security guards may have to take to protect themselves, read our other article, “Do Security Guards Wear Body Armour?”.
Is Being A Security Guard Easy?
A common question which is asked about security guards is, is being a security guard easy? Being a security guard is not a walk in the park – it requires training that you have to pass to ensure that you can do your job safely.
Additionally, when on the job, security guards are there to protect the business that they are working for. Therefore, it is important that security guards do not become too laid-back as they need to stay vigilant and alert. If a security guard follows the training and guidance that they are given, it is easy to do your job correctly.
Is Being A Security Guard A Well Paid Job?
Like many of the other questions on this list, there is no definitive answer to this question as a security guard’s pay will depend on where they are located, the remit of their role, and the company that they work for.
Some security jobs do pay lower wages that are close to minimum wage, while others pay well above this. Security guards with good levels of training that hold an SIA licence receive higher pay than others as they have more skills and expertise. Once in a role, you can also improve your skills and qualifications that will be valuable to your employer, which can earn you more money. If your employer does not wish to increase your wage, there are others that will.
Read our other article, “How Much Do Security Guards Make?”, to learn more about a security guard’s pay.
Is Being A Security Guard Worth It?
Many security guards experience great job satisfaction as they know that they are keeping people safe and protecting a business from harm. Security guards love the variety that can come with their role and are constantly improving their skill set with training.
Is Being A Security Guard Stressful?
There may be stressful aspects to being a security guard. For example, security guards will often work in high-pressure situations. But like any job, stressful situations can be dealt with, and security guards will deal with any stressful situations through following protocols and training.
What Are The Benefits Of Being A Security Guard?
There are many benefits to being a security guard. Below, we have listed the main benefits of being a security guard.
- Security guards will receive a lot of training and can develop a variety of skills that make them more employable and experienced. This means that even if you are looking to become a security guard for a few years, you will benefit from the role.
- The role of a security guard comes with a variety of scheduling possibilities. Many businesses require protection around the clock rather than just during the day – this means that you can request shifts that fit around your schedule.
- Being a qualified security guard can lead to many different kinds of job opportunities depending on the company that you work for and where you are located. This means that you can find a role that suits you – whether it is monitoring CCTV, being on patrol during the day, or working the quieter night shift.
Read our other article, “Security Guard Job Description 2022” to learn more about what the benefits are to becoming a security guard.
What Skills Do You Need To Be A Security Guard?
It may seem that anyone can take on a job in the security industry; however, that couldn’t be farther from the truth. There is a wide range of security guard skills which are necessary to have in order to be successful in the job.
- A security guard needs to have good communication skills. As security guards will often interact with others or members of the public.
- It is important that security guards, can think on the spot. As there will be some incidents, where security officers will have to use quick thinking before a situation gets out of control.
- Security guards need to be adaptable. Being a security guard is more than just patrolling your surroundings. You will need to be able to adapt to a number of different conditions and demands in order to successfully perform your job.
- Security guard needs to always keep learning. With technology ever-changing, there is a need for security guards to be highly trained and tech-savvy, including familiarity with many devices and systems. Continuous professional training is almost a prerequisite for today’s security guards to meet industry requirements.
What Rights Does A Security Guard Have?
Like all workers in the UK, security guards have a right to fair working conditions and a base level of pay. Security Guards in the UK do not have the right to carry any weapons however can wear protective clothing, use reasonable force and carry handcuffs. Read our other article to find out more about “What Are Security Guards Allowed To Carry?”.
To learn more Security Guard News, check our other articles.
A key aspect of airport security is an airport security officer, as their role is to help keep passengers and employees safe whilst they are working and traveling at an airport.
A night security guard is an SIA licenced guard who works at night, and when others are asleep they can be a huge advantage to protecting a business.
What Is the Process for Hiring Security? This article includes all the information you need to know to be able to hire your very own security!
In recent years there have been calls for MPs security to be evaluated, with more services and security guards to be made more available for members of parliament. This comes from a rise in political discourse and public outcry to hold politicians more accountable for their actions, which can unfortunately lead to abuse and the threat of violence.
Security guards are vital if you want to protect the assets of your business. The key to successful security guarding is to ensure staff have the right knowledge and awareness of security practices.
It is extremely important for all businesses or anyone to consider physical security, as physical security such as security guards can help protect a business and people away from any potential security threats.
When on the job, it is important that security guards have all the equipment they may need to be fully prepared and protected in their job. Some companies have a security guard equipment list to ensure that all their staff have the same level of protection. Let’s take a closer look to answer the question, what equipment do security guards use?
We’ve all heard of a citizen’s arrest, but what does it mean? We’re going to answer that and other questions that surround citizen’s arrests in the UK.
Security guards work all over the world, and they are hired to work in a variety of different job roles such as protecting construction sites to working in retail stores to help customers. There are many things which you need to become a security guard, such as certain qualifications, and having specific skills.