Retail stores are some of the most important settlements in the world of business. Not only are they an opportunity to sell more products, but retail stores also allow direct communication with the customer, further allowing companies to receive valuable quality feedback as well as figure out what their potential customer-base wants.
Top Ways to secure retail store:
Although retail stores are everywhere, they are very prone to disasters. Here are 10 ways that you can use to secure your retail store:
1. Installing CCTV cameras
CCTV cameras should be a bare necessity at this point. Considering how many stores in the West have already adopted this facility, we are slowly reaching that point. CCTV cameras are not as expensive as many stores make them out to be, and you don’t even need to store your data locally: you can store it on the cloud for cheaper and more secure.
2. Run background checks on employees
Sure, it can be quite a hassle and possibly feel illegal running a background check on someone you are about to hire but we can assure you that it is not.
- In fact, almost all big organizations run a complete background check on their potential employees.
- This can help add more security to your retail store.
3. Get your store insured
There is nothing more secure for your retail store than getting it insured. Ensuring the store essentially helps you get the guarantee that even if something unfortunate or unseen happens, you suffer as little damage as possible. Sure, fighting insurance battles might be unnecessarily difficult in some scenarios, but there are a lot of good insurance companies out there as well.
4. Make deposits more frequent
It may sound a little too basic that you would want to make deposits much more frequently than before, considering how much time and effort-consuming the activity is, but it is considerably more secure.
- More often than not, the reason why your retail store is at risk is that the perpetrator wants the cash in the store’s counter.
- It is either this or the products that you are showcasing on your retail store.
By consistently depositing the money earned during the day to the bank, you are essentially securing funds.
5. Hiring a security guard
Another important thing that you can add in your retail store is hiring a retail security guard. There are a lot of reasons why you would be needing a security guard in the first place: they can help add security to your retail store, they can assure the safety of the employees and can also help prevent future problems that can arise in your retail store.
Security guards also add some sort of dominance and also help add more security for your retail store.
6. Help build relationships with the neighborhood
You might have needed this advice more often than not in your normal everyday life as well: building a relationship with the neighborhood not only helps you secure your retail store but also get more security. Additionally, building links with your neighborhood can also help you find more offers and potential customers, free marketing and so on.
Plus, in case you run into political issues or issues related to the land, better relationships with the area can go a long way.
7. Offer incentives
Human nature is very unique. Common psychology techniques suggest that customers and employees will treat you as well as you treat them.
- If you offer incentives to employees and customers to ensure that they are in their best mood and condition, the likelihood of your retail store getting damaged or robbed is very less likely.
- Additionally, incentives can also help you ensure that the customers return to buy more products and employees work longer without demanding a pay raise or other meddlesome activities.
8. Figure out creative ways to secure
You may have seen this in the movies too, but most thieves and no-good-doers are only able to hack away and get past security because your retail store may be using basic security mechanisms that are very easy to get past.
- Figuring out creative ways to secure your retail store goes a long way, and you might even save yourself some precious bucks securing the location.
- Alternatively, you can hire a professional security consultant to figure out more comfortable ways to secure your retail store.
We would recommend that you only hire a consultant that is well qualified, as otherwise they can also be a security liability.
9. Improve and update
The most important advice in terms of security for anything is constant updates. You can’t build a perfect security system that will last you for years, at least for a retail store.
- Malicious people always find ways to get past security, given they have enough time.
- To get past such irregularities, you can always update your security measures on a regular basis.
A good practice is to update your security devices once a year, but if you are running low on budget, you can also choose a two-year package.
There are even companies that allow businesses to build security systems and be paid on a monthly basis.
10. Partnership with the police
Forgiving only makes the situation worse, especially for no-goaders who shoplift on a daily basis. As a retail store, you will have to deal with shoplifters at least once in your business lifetime. We would recommend that you try to partner with the police so you can actively report these shoplifters and get them promptly punished. This will help other potential evil eyes stay away from your excellent establishment.
Partnering with the police can also help you effectively have a business that has security.
We hope that this basic article on the top 10 ways to secure your retail store has helped you. This article is in no way numbered according to anything. We merely shared these ways in random order. To fully improve your security, we recommend using multiple ways at a time.