When you are applying or renewing your SIA licence, it is known that the SIA will check your criminal record, but is it possible to become a security guard with a criminal record? In this article, we will explain why SIA checks your criminal record, what offences they check, and answer the question “can I become a security guard with a criminal record?”.
- Can I Become A Security Guard With A Criminal Record?
- What Is A Criminal Record Check?
- The Types Of Criminal Record Checks
- How Long Does A Criminal Check Take?
- What Does The SIA Check On Criminality?
- Why Do The SIA Check Your Criminal Record?
- Can I Get An SIA Licence With A Criminal Record?
- How To Get An SIA Licence With A Criminal Record?
- Can I Get A CCTV SIA Licence With A Criminal Record?
What Is A Criminal Record Check?
A criminal record check is a background check that takes a look at your criminal record to see if you have any criminal convictions. Not all jobs will require you to have a criminal record check, but some employers may do checks on people who work as a teacher, a lawyer, or people who work in security such as a security guard. There are four different types of criminal record checks, below we have listed what these checks are.
Can I Become A Security Guard With A Criminal Record?
It is possible to become a security guard with a criminal record if you have a few offences. However, it would depend on many factors such as long ago your offences were, how serious they were, if your offences involved imprisonment, and what the SIA thinks about your offences.
The Types Of Criminal Record Checks
These are the different types of criminal check checks that companies will perform.
- A basic criminal record check will be a quick check that shows any unspent convictions or conditional cautions.
- A standard check will show employers if you have any cautions, final warnings, reprimands, and if you have spent or unspent convictions.
- An enhanced check will show the same information as a standard check, but it will also show any information that may be relevant to the role you are applying for that is held by the police.
- An enhanced check with barred lists, this check is similar to an enhanced check and will show the same information. However, it will also show whether you are also on the barred list.
How Long Does A Criminal Check Take?
In the UK, basic criminal checks can take up to 14 days while standard and enhanced checks may take up to 8 weeks. The amount of time a criminal record check will take will depend on many things such as the type of check, if the police need to be involved with the check, and if the detail given for the check are correct.
What Does The SIA Check On A Criminal Record?
When the SIA checks your criminal record, they will do a standard criminal record check to see if you have any unspent convictions, cautions or final warnings. Whilst they are checking your criminal record, there are many things that SIA will take into consideration such as;
- What The Offences Were,
- How Long Ago An Offence Was,
- How Serious The Offence Is,
- And If It Is Relevant To Your Application.
There are many offences the SIA may check to see if you have, below we have listed some of these offences.
- Abuse or neglect of children
- Criminal damage
- Dishonesty (theft and fraud)
- Drug offences
- Offensive weapons
- Private security offences
- Sexual offences
- Violent or abusive behaviour
- Firearm offences
- Social security offences
Why Do The SIA Check Your Criminal Record?
The SIA will check your criminal record to check if you are suitable to hold an SIA licence and to work in the area of security. The SIA will also check your criminal record to see what sort of person you are and to check that you won’t be a risk to the public.
Can I Get An Sia Licence With A Criminal Record?
It is possible to option an SIA licence with a criminal record however, it will depend on what offences are on your criminal record and how long you have had these offences. For example, if your offence was a fine within the last year then your application would be refused; while if it has been more than 2 years since a community disposal offence then your application for a licence may be granted. The best way to find out how the SIA reviews your criminal record would be to look online or in the SIA’s licencing handbook.
It is also important to know that if you have received a conviction which has involved imprisonment of over 48 months or life imprisonment, then your application may be automatically refused, or it could fall into the consider additional factors category, but this will depend on how long it has been since the sentence restrictions passed.
How To Get An SIA Licence With A Criminal Record?
If you do have a criminal record whilst you are looking to apply for an SIA licence, it is best to use the SIA’s criminal record indication checker. Their criminal record indicator will ask you about yourself and your criminal record, and then estimate whether you will be able to pass the SIA’s criminality check. However, it is important to note that the results from the checker aren’t always a guarantee and instead are only an estimate.
Can I Get A CCTV SIA Licence With A Criminal Record?
It is possible to gain an SIA CCTV licence whilst you have a criminal record. However, this would depend on how long ago your offences were, how serious they were, if your offences involved imprisonment, and what the SIA thinks about your offences.
An SIA security licence is a legal document that proves you are qualified to perform security related needs for a business or individual client. Anyone working in the security field should have a type of security guard licence to ensure they are legally covered and well-trained.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km7IIxyvSgE Who are the SIA? The SIA are the Security Industry Authority and they are responsible for regulating the private security sector throughout the United...