It is extremely important for all businesses or anyone to consider physical security, as physical security such as security guards can help protect a business and people away from any potential security threats. In this article, we will be discussing what is physical security and why is it important for any business to have.
- What Is Physical Security?
- What Are Physical Security Measures?
- Examples Of Physical Security Measures
- What Are The 5 Levels Of Physical Security?
- Why Is Physical Security Important?
- How To Prevent Physical Security Threats?
- Can Security Guards Be Used To Improve Physical Security?
- Why Can Security Guards Improve Physical Security?
What Is Physical Security?
Physical security is the physical protection for people, businesses, software, equipment, or valuables against all or any security risks. Physical security is the security measures that you take to ensure the safety of your business or property, and physical security will help to protect you against security threats or security incidents such as theft, fires, vandalism, terrorism, or even natural disasters.
What Are Physical Security Measures?
A physical security measure is the measures or actions that you take to help prevent security risks. Physical security measures can come in many different types of forms, and they will often depend on what or who you are protecting. Some of these measures could be visual deterrents, such as CCTV cameras, or actually applying different actions of security, such as hiring a security guard to protect your business.
Examples Of Physical Security Measures
There are many different ways you can apply security measures to help protect your business. Below, we have listed some examples of physical security measures.
- A homeowner installing CCTV cameras at the side of their home to help protect them from burglaries. Read our article, “Top 9 Benefits Of CCTV” to find out how CCTV can help to stop burglaries.
- In retail security, security guards will be hired to stand at the front of a store to act as a visual deterrent against thieves.
- Someone buying secure locks for all of their doors.
- In construction security, guards will be hired as a physical security measure to patrol around the site so that they can watch out for any suspicious activity.
- Companies, such as warehouses or construction sites, include warning or safety signs in dangerous areas. Read our Safety Sign Guide for more information on why businesses use safety signs.
- Businesses installing a physical security system on their properties.
What Are The 5 Levels Of Physical Security?
Within physical security and physical security systems, there are different levels of protection, that companies can use to evaluate how effective their security or security systems are within their business.
The first level is minimum security, and this is where you only have minimum security measures in place.
The next level is low-level security. Low-level security is where you only have small measures of security in place.
The third level of physical security is medium security. This is where you only have some security measures in place but there is still room for improvement.
The fourth level is high-level security. This is where you have high-security measures already in place.
Finally, the last level is maximum security. Maximum security is when you have the best and most effective security measures in place. This level of security is what all companies and businesses aim to have.
Companies may use a security risk assessment or a risk assessment checklist to help them evaluate which level of physical security they have. Read our other article, “How To Create A Security Risk Assessment?”, to find out more information about security risk assessments.
Why Is Physical Security Important?
It is important to make sure that your business has good physical security, as physical security helps to keep your business, and anyone employed by the business protected and away from any harm. Furthermore, it is important to have good physical security, whether that be for a business or any homeowner, as it allows people to feel a bit more secure and can install a sense of safety.
How To Prevent Physical Security Threats?
There are many ways to prevent security threats within physical security. One of the best methods to prevent physical security threats would be to hire a security guard to help protect your business. Security guards can be a huge asset to physical security, as they not only protect people but can act as a visual deterrent against potential security threats such as thieves.
Another way to prevent physical security threats would be to make sure your company has installed the latest technologies, such as security cameras, and to make sure that you have reviewed how effective the security measures that you already have in place are within your business.
To find out more ways that you can prevent physical security risks, read our article, 5 Physical Security Incidents And How To Avoid Them.
Can Security Guards Be Used To Improve Physical Security?
Security guards have been known to be an advantage towards physical security, as many business owners will hire security guards to help protect their company. Below, we have listed some examples of how guards can help to improve physical security.
- Security guards who work in building security will improve a building’s physical security by logging the number of people who enters or leaves the building. This is important to a building’s security, as the guards will watch out for any suspicious activity and make sure everyone who enters the building has valid reasons for being there.
- While guards who work in event security will help improve physical security as they will be responsible for everyone at the event, and security guards will use their customer service skills to help other employees or to help guests feel at ease during an event.
- Security guards who work as bodyguards will be hired to protect high-profile people such as celebrities or politicians. These bodyguards will improve the physical security of these people, by making sure that no harm or danger comes to them.
Why Can Security Guards Improve Physical Security?
The main reason why security guards are able to help improve physical security is because of a security guard’s main responsibility which is to protect people, buildings, or valuables. Security guards are able to do this by completing their daily tasks and duties. Furthermore, it has been known that a security guard’s presence can help others feel more secure and protected.
Security guards are vital if you want to protect the assets of your business. The key to successful security guarding is to ensure staff have the right knowledge and awareness of security practices.
When on the job, it is important that security guards have all the equipment they may need to be fully prepared and protected in their job. Some companies have a security guard equipment list to ensure that all their staff have the same level of protection. Let’s take a closer look to answer the question, what equipment do security guards use?
linkedinyoutubeinstagramtiktokfacebooktwitterAirport security is something we all must experience when we travel by plane. While it can be seen to be as unnecessary, it is an essential part of...
linkedinyoutubeinstagramtiktokfacebooktwitterCar key burglary is when someone breaks into your home with the specific intention of taking your car keys to then steal your car. This is known as a...
We’ve all heard of a citizen’s arrest, but what does it mean? We’re going to answer that and other questions that surround citizen’s arrests in the UK.
Crime rates in the UK are increasing. Last year there was a 12% increase in total crime. It should be a high priority for any company to make sure that their business is well protected and that they have no onsite security weaknesses.
We can see there has been an overall decrease of incidents of terrorism over time, with some spikes occurring in the data. This is due to an increased awareness of the threat as well as governments across the world investing more resources into counter terrorism measures and security.
It is still something that effects our day to day lives and is always a risk. So, what are we doing to stay as safe as possible?
Every company wants to make sure that their business is safe 100% of the time. However, sometimes this isn’t possible due to security incidents happening. A security incident is when an event has taken place that has caused a breach of safety in a company or a business.
Spring is quickly approaching which means those of us with green thumbs are eager to get back into their gardens and prepare for the upcoming season. For many people gardens provide peace, relaxation, and a way to destress from their day to day.